Greetings Church Family,
We are beginning to slip into something of a groove as this bizarre year unfolds. Almost nothing looks anything like it did this time last year, and yet there is an emerging sense of rhythm as the world settles into its new stasis. The phrase on everyone’s lips is “the new normal.”
Here at church, the Sunday morning and evening in-person attendance is beginning to creep slowly upwards. Of course it isn’t (nor should it be) anything like those long-ago “before Covid” days. A substantial majority of us are still participating via online means as we feel our way forward.
We have some updates from some of the rest of the staff about upcoming events and programs. In the meantime, we simply strive to remain faithful.
From Jamie J.:
1) Exciting news for our “Room in the Inn” ministry! “Room in the Inn” (RITI) is a ministry that houses the homeless in various church buildings during the winter months. This winter our Covid plan is to utilize a voucher system to house the homeless in a local motel. Months ago, our city leaders applied for a grant to help fund this ministry for this winter. We just received word that the grant has been fully funded! All of those funds will be used by RITI to serve the homeless of Richmond through this winter and beyond.
2) Reminder! The November/December edition of The Upper Room is available on the bench inside the rear door of the main building. If you stop by during the week, simply press the buzzer and the office will buzz you in to get your copy.
Greetings Church Family,
I have two big announcements for you all.
The first announcement is that we will start our hybrid version of the youth group this Wednesday! Students will have the opportunity (if you choose to) to come in person in the MMC, and others that feel uncomfortable or at high risk can still meet via the zoom link that has been provided for a few weeks now. I sent out an email describing our plan for this hybrid version. Please go back and read the last email.
Secondly, WE ARE HAVING FALL RETREAT!
This year, we will not be going to Aldersgate Camp, but we have a hybrid version of the fall retreat coming! Mark your calendars for November 6th – 8th. The times for the fall retreat are Friday from 7 pm to 9 pm, Saturday 11 am to 1 pm, and Sunday from 1 pm to 3 pm. We will have students meet virtually on the same youth group zoom link on Friday and Saturday, while Sunday is meeting in person at the MMC socially distanced for the last talk and communion. If a student doesn’t feel comfortable coming on Sunday, the youth group link will be available too. Here are below are important details:
Sunday Schedule in Person:
- Head home or Stay for THRIVE Service.
Registration Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc12Z5rTKQmhMZ-e1N5vfIdHAM9XTZg7odiYpLQYhdw9uIPhw/viewform?usp=pp_url
Kits: We, as a student ministry leadership team, will be delivering kits to the doorsteps of homes. These kits will be interactive pieces that connect with the speaker of that day. There will be other trinkets inside the kits that will help bring the fall retreat experience to the students.
The link to Clarity Fall Retreat is the same as the youth group online link.
Overall, the youth group meets from 6:30 pm to 7:45 pm Every Wednesday. If you need the zoom link, have any questions, comments, or concerns, contact the church office and ask for Jamelle. If not, email me at . And if you are not on the email list that Jamelle has, please contact him by calling the church office or email.
Children’s Ministry needs your help! We would like to safely start phasing our children back into church life and to do this we need volunteers. We would like to start back by offering nursery care and G3 to our church family and to do that safely we need 2-3 volunteers on Sunday Mornings from 10AM to 12PM and Sunday evenings 6PM-7PM. With a pool of 12 volunteers we can make it so that each person would only serve once a month and with more volunteers it could be that each person only serves once every 2-3 months. If you are able to help at any one of our services times please email Sequoia at ASAP. Thank you.
This year Children’s Ministry will be hosting a drive through trick-or-treat event on Wednesday October 28th from 6pm-8pm for the Richmond community. We could use your help in many ways! Please check the list below and see how you can help a level that is comfortable for you at this time.
- Donate candy (drop off candy to the church office, contact sequoia to set up a front porch no contact pick up or order it and have it shipped straight to the church)
- Time, come help with set up, tear down or the event itself on Wednesday ( all distance, mask, glove and safety precautions will be in place)
- Prayer. For the safety of this event as well as the community.
Always make sure you are in our remind group for all updates and information as it relates to children ministry. You can join by texting @uptownfumc to 81010.
Sequoia L. wheeler
Children’s Ministry Director
First United Methodist Church-Richmond, KY
“Growing God’s Children to Make a Difference”
O. 859-623-3580 Ext. 2207